Re: patternTransform

Am 03.10.2011 um 12:14 schrieb Domenico Strazzullo:

>> I read in the specification that the patternTransform attribute:
>>
>> "contains the definition of an optional additional transformation from
>> the pattern coordinate system onto the target coordinate system .
>> This additional transformation matrix is post-multiplied ",
>>
>> and:
>>
>> "If attribute 'patternTransform' is not specified, then the effect is as
>> if an identity transform were specified. ".
>>
>> What's an identity transform? Does it mean that if patternTransform is
>> specified,  implementations are allowed to bitmap the tile and re-sample
>> it?
>> That's the impression I have with Opera, Firefox and Webkit. From what I
>> can see, only IE9 seems to apply transformations correctly.
>> The result is kind of acceptable in Opera and Firefox, but really bizarre
>> in Webkit.
>>
>> You can check some results here:
>> http://dotuscomus.com/pergola/download/pergola_1.3.6/ExamplesHTML/Patterns/patterns.html
>>
>> Domenico

> You should specify your question. I assume you mean the pixelation on the
> pattern tiles.

Yes. The question was: "Does it mean that if patternTransform is specified,
implementations are allowed to bitmap the tile and re-sample it?".
I was also asking: "What's an identity transform?".

> IIRC all implementations try to avoid pixelated tiles. And normally it
> works quite well.
> I haven't checked why Opera, Firefox and WebKit fail on your example yet.
> But ideally patterns should never look pixelated, independent of the
> pattern transform, viewBox
> or other transformations. In realty all these implementations work with
> bitmaped tiles.

So they seem, except IE9 (and perhaps ASV, which I haven't tested). But in
the specification I don't read anywhere in the concerned section that
patternTransform is
 "implementation dependent". I would assume then that to bitmap a pattern
tile *before* applying transformations, and then re-sample according to the
transformation values, breaks the specification. In any case, the fact of
pre-bitmapping takes away the low level control needed by the developer
and/or the artist.

Greetings,
Domenico