clarification sought on feComposite

From: David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 17:16:40 -0500
To: <www-svg@w3.org>
Both IE/ASV and Opera appear to pass the tests in the test suite

However, the two come up with quite different impressions of what to do with

http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/feComposite1.svg

The differences can be compared at

http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/feCompositeCompare.jpg

(Opera on top, IE/ASV underneath)

What differs between this test and the testSuite is the use of transparency
in the BackgroundImage. Magenta and cyan are partly transparent, while
yellow is opaque.

I have always assumed that IE/ASV did it right as per the Primer's treatment
:

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/resources/svgprimer.html#feComposite

I'm about to finish up another elementary treatment of filters and I wanted
to verify that my thinking is correct here.

Should something like this example be added to the test suite?

Thanks in advance

David