RE: API for Retrieving Stroke Outline?

On Monday, November 14, 2011 4:36 AM Erik Dahlstrom [mailto:ed@opera.com]
To: www-svg@w3.org
Subject: Re: API for Retrieving Stroke Outline?

>On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:12:22 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
>wrote:

>>> Sorry for being daft, but where is this in the spec? I can't find it.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/vectoreffects.html
>>
>> It's an old draft, but the functionality is right, I believe.
>>
>> ~TJ

>A slightly more recent document is:

>     http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/vectoreffects/master/

>Note that that one has not been published as a WD.

Do we know for sure that Vector Effects will be migrating into SVG2?

I hope so, as the stroke to path part, together with the veUnion gives the ability to know the footprint of a stroked shape and the vePath stuff, with veReverse (to cover directionality and topological orientation) begins to handle the functionality requested by the superpath proposals from the geographical communities. (Superpath is useful for animation -- animating limbs separately from bodies for example -- as well, particulary if the concept of the <point x="5" y="20" /> is added into SVG.

Regards,
David