Re: Towards Better Anti-aliasing

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Mike Bostock <mbostock@cs.stanford.edu>wrote:

> > One reason could be that FSAA is (with the most common supersampling
> > schemes) not that precise, compared to some of the alternatives (it's a
> > rather crude, albeit quite effective, method).
>
> Point taken; any discrete anti-aliasing system is going to be less
> precise than a geometric solution (computing the exact sub-pixel area
> occluded by the front-most shape). But the hardware implementation for
> multisampling is quite good in my experience, and more than enough to
> compensate for the artifacts of not-FSAA.

On a lot of hardware/driver combinations, anything more than 2x2 MSAA is
excruciatingly slow. And 2x2 MSAA is very poor quality for a lot of
applications.

I wish MSAA worked better, because we could remove a lot of complexity from
our layout and rendering stack if we could rely on it, but we can't.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us