Re: Revisiting SVG Fonts

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 20:46:04 -0400, you wrote:

>But in Boston two weeks ago, someone pointed out to me the sumptuousness of
>a hand drawn blackboard-menu. The calligrapher had used chalk and had come
>up with very clever ways of forming the glyphs. Some of it could be handled
>with ligatures, but a part of the beauty of it was the unpredictable
>humanness of the writing. The ability to insert randomness in our writing,
>and indeed randomness in general imparts a great sense of realism to our
>work. Client side declarative randomness is pretty necessary ¿que no?

Are you familiar with Google SketchUp? It's a 3D modeling application
that offers something along those lines.

For example, here's a simple model, in its default presentation:

 http://www.dendroica.com/Scratch/default.png

And here are some variations, created simply by changing the drawing
style:

 http://www.dendroica.com/Scratch/chalkOnBlackboard.png
 http://www.dendroica.com/Scratch/dryEraseMarker.png
 http://www.dendroica.com/Scratch/pencilCurved.png
 http://www.dendroica.com/Scratch/pencilSketchWithTracedLines.png
 http://www.dendroica.com/Scratch/penWavy.png
 http://www.dendroica.com/Scratch/scribbleOnMasonite.png

However, I'm not at all convinced that support for this sort of thing
ought to be in SVG itself. It seems to me that it belongs at the
application level--in whatever it is that is creating the images.

-Steve Schaf