Re: Towards Better Anti-aliasing

From: Mike Bostock <mbostock@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 14:11:25 -0700
To: Jasper van de Gronde <th.v.d.gronde@hccnet.nl>
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
> One reason could be that FSAA is (with the most common supersampling
> schemes) not that precise, compared to some of the alternatives (it's a
> rather crude, albeit quite effective, method).

Point taken; any discrete anti-aliasing system is going to be less
precise than a geometric solution (computing the exact sub-pixel area
occluded by the front-most shape). But the hardware implementation for
multisampling is quite good in my experience, and more than enough to
compensate for the artifacts of not-FSAA.

> Also, you may want to selectively disable anti-aliasing for certain objects
> altogether.

Agreed; that should still be possible.

Mike