Re: agenda+ SVG 2 Features and Approach

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 04:48:53 +0400
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
On 5/12/11, Erik Dahlstrom wrote:

> And speaking of which, the lack of publicly available svg animation tools
> is a thing that surely doesn't help the situation for SVG. I've tried
> Synfig Studio[1], but the SVG support is rather incomplete and buggy[2]. I
> don't know of any other freely available tools for animating svg that are
> suitable for designers and people that don't want to mess with the SVG
> source, or learn to use some javascript animation library.

In short there are very few free animation tools per se. Synfig has
only basic importing of SVG, not exporting, plus its has a rather
different document model which makes it difficult to implement SVG
animation in the output, as far as I can tell.

The only other really alive project is Tupi, a fork of seemingly
abandoned KToon. It doesn't do SVG animation either and I don't
remember ever reading that as a goal in the project's TODO.

Synfig is a small team that has more pressing things to do. Tupi is a
one-man band. AFAIK, both projects are more interested in feature film
animation than Web.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org