Re: Reusing a subset of SVG in another standard

Hi Doug,

Am 09.05.2011 14:09, schrieb Doug Schepers:
> Hi, Peter-
>
> Peter Junge wrote (on 5/4/11 9:07 PM):

[...]

>> namespace
>> (xmlns:svg="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:svg-compatible:1.0").
>
> This is actually a suboptimal approach taken in ODF 1.2 (see some
> background here [1]).

OK, I'm convinced now.

>> Hence my question, which solution would the SVG WG prefer?
>
> I'm currently participating in the OASIS ODF TC to help define a better
> way forward for ODF.Next (though I'm not very active... I'm biding my
> time until the SVG issue is ready to be solved). I could also help you
> out, and in general, I suggest that ODF and UOML use the same approach:
> simply support a subset of the SVG spec as a first-class citizen.

That's indeed an excellent idea. I'm also a --mostly inactive-- member
of the ODF TC. I would of course be interested to work on the issue with
both UOML and ODF TC if it comes to a common approach. Not sure when the
UOML TC will really start to adopt SVG. It would certainly mean
evolution but on the other hand there are also compatibility constraints
with previous version of UOML.

> One resource that might help you is the SVG Integration spec [2], which
> is (in part) intended just for cases like this... where another spec
> wishes to identify a "profile" of sorts that is supported in their
> language. Obviously, which set of features to select should depend on
> the capability of devices, the network effects of what subset of SVG is
> supported in related user agents (perhaps browsers, or authoring tools,
> etc.), security considerations, and many other factors.

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was needed to evaluate the
challenges we are facing.

Best regards,
Peter