terminology question: bitmap accumulation, n-dimensional trace groups, normalized paths [was RE: agenda+ SVG 2 Features and Approach\

From: David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 21:32:45 -0400
To: "'Charles Pritchard'" <chuck@jumis.com>, "'Doug Schepers'" <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: "'www-svg'" <www-svg@w3.org>
On May 08, 2011 4:50 PM  Charles Pritchard wrote

>I've been investigating normalized svg paths as a means of sharing area map data with ATs; so that they can "see" clickable shapes in my canvas shadow tree.

>Many of the CSS features borrowed from SVG are a positive sign, of better integration between the CSS box model and the SVG model. I personally think that normalized SVG paths could be integrated into CSS as well, but that's another topic.

>The two areas most-lacking in SVG, the two reasons why I continue to use a canvas back-end, when an SVG backend may be available, are bitmap accumulation and n-dimensional trace groups.

Hi Charles,

I'm not quite sure what is meant by

bitmap accumulation, n-dimensional trace groups, and normalized paths.

If by bitmap accumulation, you mean having access to pixel values (when there isn't a security problem - which there often isn't -- but there are times when even canvas doesn't help without round-tripping to the server!), then yes! That is something I've been wanting for a long time now!

Or are you talking about some sort of thing where bitmaps are cached in memory that can be actively managed? I could see a value to that as well.

By n-dimensional trace groups, do you mean things like n-dimensional objects observed over time? I think we talked about that sort of thing a year or so ago in the context of InkML. Does <replicate> still play into your thinking here? Geospatial tracks, as with Open Street Maps and onboard GPS systems sort of do that don't they?

Normalized paths -- not quite sure what those are...

Cheers
David