Re: data-* : Custom Data Attributes

Hi, Ian-

Ian Hickson wrote (on 5/5/11 5:13 PM):
> On Thu, 5 May 2011, Doug Schepers wrote:
>>  >  >
>>  >  >   while @data- is just a way of adding metadata
>>  >
>>  >  data-*="" is just a place for storing declarative data for scripts,
>>  >  it's not really for metadata.
>>
>>  I'd argue that data-*="" is (or can be) still a kind of metadata, but I
>>  agree that depends on how it's used in practice.
>
> Sure. I just meant that it's not for publicly usable metadata. For
> example, you wouldn't put something into a data-*="" attribute that you'd
> expect a search engine, Web browser, or data mining tool to use. It's
> intended just for use by the author's own software (typically JS running
> on the page itself, but possibly also server-side software).

Okay, thanks for making the distinction clear.

Jon, on the original topic, for what it's worth, I would expect SVG 2 to
allow both microdata and data-*="" attributes, as well as whatever other
features defined in HTML5 make sense in the SVG context.  I expect that
most of the dynamic Web-oriented SVG content will be integrated with
HTML to a lesser or greater extent, so it just makes sense.  Similarly,
we are trying to allow whatever features from SVG make sense in CSS and
HTML to be used there, where it is technically feasible.  The important
thing is the platform and the authoring experience, not the languages.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, WebApps, and Web Events WGs