data-* : Custom Data Attributes

From: Frost, Jon A. <frostjo@missouri.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 12:07:55 -0500
To: "www-svg@w3.org" <www-svg@w3.org>

Good day,

Over the last 2 years I have been using the "data-" attribute more and more in HTML5.  The Custom Data Attribute is a very useful way to pass in and manage associated data - great for many of my applications.  We have sXBL, but that is really a different beast.  The parameter proposal sounds very useful, but it does not look nearly as useful as HTML5's custom data attribute which also is already well-defined for us.

I know that we can alter the DTD to make this happen in each of our SVGs, but a more flexible and standard approach would be very useful to me anyway.  It have not heard much discussion about adding this to SVG2 but I might have missed the conversations.  Please point me in the right direction, or let me know what you all think.
   Best,
      Jon Frost

image001.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image001.jpg)