RE: font formats and SVG2

I believe we have stated in the past that we are currently betting on WOFF.  We believe that SVG Fonts should be a separate module (as part of the modularization of SVG 2.0) and as vendors we should implement them accordingly.  We tend to implement features based upon demand.  We have yet to see enough demand for this.  I  believe the Mozilla is in the same mind but I don't want to speak to that for them.

From: www-svg-request@w3.org [mailto:www-svg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Manuel Strehl
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 11:53 AM
To: www-svg@w3.org
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
Subject: Re: font formats and SVG2

I'm with the "Keep it" fraction. Especially the ability to access every single font property in the Javascript DOM is extremely tempting; not for long texts or even books, but for something, that could be called "multimedia font". Such a font could, e.g., interact with the user at runtime, which is almost impossible with OpenType (apart from manipulating OTF features).

Cheers,
Manuel