Re: Should the base svg tag receive events?

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 18:20:22 +1300
To: www-svg@w3.org
Hi, Kevin-

We've discussed the issue of the SVG root element receiving pointer
events at length, and we agree that implementations differ, and that the
wording was imprecise.  However, for SVG 1.1, we decided to leave the
behavior undefined, since there isn't agreement on precisely what should
happen in different scenarios.

We have clarified some of the wording, and do intend to solve the larger
issue in SVG 2.  The group is committed to make a decision in time for
the next versions of browsers (at this point, it is too late in most
browser development cycles for any decision to be implemented).  We may
solve this issue in the SVG Integration spec, which is undergoing active
development.

Please let us know if this works for you.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, WebApps, and Web Events WGs