RE: SVG Fonts inside of OpenType fonts? [Cross-post from www-font@w3.org]

From: Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:09:50 -0400
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>, Tab Atkins <tabatkins@google.com>
CC: "list.adam@twardoch.com" <list.adam@twardoch.com>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>, "www-svg@w3.org" <www-svg@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "public-webfonts-wg@w3.org" <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>, OpenType List <opentype-migration-list@indx.co.uk>, "schepers@w3.org" <schepers@w3.org>
On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:50 PM John Hudson wrote:
> At the W3C gathering in Lyon last year, Christopher Slye (Adobe) and I
> had an interesting conversation with Doug Schepers (W3C) regarding
> 'Fonts 2.0', and the possibilities of W3C working with the font
> community to identify what sort of things on screen typography might
> need -- both in terms of fancy stuff like colour, and also improving
> text reading experience -- and defining these as W3 recommendations.

I realize that these discussions are only preliminary, but we need to consider the current situation where ISO/IEC SC29/WG11 is now the home for a standardization activity related to OT/OFF. I'd think that they would want to continue this activity and, therefore, would be open for suggestions for the new work items via existing ISO/W3C liaison relationship. It doesn't mean that W3C cannot play a major role in defining this new features and functionality, but from the logistics and procedural points of view it might be prudent to define this new SFNT format extension as a new amendment to the existing OFF standard, getting all interested parties involved in this activity and working towards achieving consensus among them.