Re: Expressions as attribute values

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:20:51 +1200
To: "Gaurav Jain." <gajain@adobe.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
Hi Gaurav.

Gaurav Jain:
> I understand that specifying expressions as attribute value was part
> of SVG1.2 (was it inside RCC?).

Here’s the last place RCC was written up:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20040510/#rcc

which used XSLT for the live templating.  Or, script could be used.

> Can anyone share what happened to that feature?

Nobody implemented it. :-)  Actually, that’s not true, Adobe implemented
some variety of RCC; I can’t remember exactly which features.

Then, RCC evolved to become sXBL, which I implemented in Batik – the
code’s still there in fact.  Then sXBL was dropped in favour of using
XBL2 for both HTML and SVG.  And now XBL2 is still in a bit of limbo.

I prototyped something similar a while ago, building on from some ideas
of Kim Marriott and Greg Badros’.
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~clm/csvg/examples.html

>From that experimentation, I feel like just allowing expressions in
attributes is too cumbersome for use beyond simple cases.

I think it is worth investigating how well CSS layout models (such as
flexbox) can be used with SVG content.  I have a feeling that for it to
be useful with diagrammatic content, it would need to be used in
conjunction with some expression-based syntax, but I haven’t had time
recently to continue looking into this.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/