W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-svg@w3.org > June 2011

Minutes, June 9 2011 SVG WG telcon

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:56:03 -0700
Message-ID: <BANLkTi=iOZyVGZ9sQr02v2fMrv9w6=-XRg@mail.gmail.com>
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
Present: Cameron, Doug, Chris, Rik
Chair: Cameron
Scribe: Rik

http://www.w3.org/2011/06/09-svg-minutes.html

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                   SVG Working Group Teleconference

09 Jun 2011

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2011AprJun/0137.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/09-svg-irc

Attendees

   Present
   Regrets
   Chair
          Cameron

   Scribe
          cabanier

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]SVG 1.1 Second Edition
         2. [6]Seattle F2F form
         3. [7]CSS WG testing
         4. [8]Text layout
         5. [9]FX taskforce
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 09 June 2011

   <shepazu> [11]http://www.w3.org/News/2011#entry-9122

     [11] http://www.w3.org/News/2011#entry-9122

   <heycam> ScribeNick: cabanier

   <heycam> CM: let's get started

SVG 1.1 Second Edition

   DS: did you catch the out of date reference?

   CL: I did not. didn't think it was prudent to change
   ... can you still change?

   DS: yes you can

   <ChrisL> can change in response to ac review comments

   <heycam> CM: I saw philippe mentioned our CSS2.0 reference, did you
   explain that to him?

   <heycam> CL: yes

   CM: there are 4 weeks to comment and then will become recommended

   there weren't too many people commenting. There is a culture where
   if people don't comment, they imply yes

   don't panic if there are no comments but it would be better if
   people do

   (that was doug schepers)

Seattle F2F form

   CM: form is supposed to be done at the end of the mont
   ... send a reminder to get topics for the venue
   ... one of the agenda items is the FX topics but we will wait until
   Vincent calls in

CSS WG testing

   <heycam> [12]http://www.w3.org/mid/4DDA7888.6030707@w3.org

     [12] http://www.w3.org/mid/4DDA7888.6030707@w3.org

   <shepazu> public-test-infra@w3.org

   DS: in the testing taskforce there is a consensus to use the stuff
   that Peter Linss has done for CSS
   ... he wrote a framework to aggregate the tests

   the framework allows to run a subset of the tests. when running test
   you can run all tests or just a couple

   DS: I want him to come talk to us because we feel strongly to have
   unified testing

   CM: should one of us call in?

   DS: I'll follow up with him
   ... he responded off-list that he wanted more information

   <scribe> ACTION: shepazu to follow up with Peter Linss about testing
   [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/09-svg-minutes.html#action01]

Text layout

   ds: we have to wait for Vincent to be here

   CM: I made a recent proposal for positioning
   ... I didn't read Rik's email reply yet

   <heycam> RC: it seems that svg is trying to do two things at once

   <heycam> ... it's doing layout for you, but also wants to provide
   you with the ability to position glyphs yourself

   <heycam> ... it's a little bit the same thing with ligatures

   <heycam> ... it'll create ligatures for you, but then also wants to
   give you the ability with positioning not to create ligatures

   <heycam> ... so it seems a bit messy

   <heycam> ... I propose that maybe we should have a new type of text,
   more like pdf, specifying individual glyphs taht you want to use

   <heycam> ... so you can choose the ligatures

   <heycam> ... and you always specify glyph positions

   <heycam> ... and the existing <text> will be automatically laid out
   text

   <ChrisL> sounds like a glyphlist rather than text - so would need an
   'alt' for accessibility

   <heycam> ... and it can create ligatures on the fly for you

   <heycam> ... so people who want a simple interface can still have
   that, but people like us, who want more control over glyph selection
   and positioning can have that as well

   <heycam> CM: we may need to have glyph indexing

   <ChrisL> the interaction between altglyph and opentype layout tables
   is underspecified

   <heycam> CM: but we do have <altGlyph> and <glyphDef>

   DS: do we have properties to control if ligatures are formed?

   <ChrisL> CSS3 has a way to disable discretionary ligatures

   CM: true
   ... but, I don't think that turns of mandatory ones

   DS: ok

   CM: I'm not completely well versed in the area.

   DS: seems like a pain

   CL: I understand that the idea behind the 2 modes

   CM: do we want 'abc' or indexes into the font file

   CL: not sure

   RC: going the PDF way might be very difficult

   CM: not if just using glyph ids

   RC: true

   CM: SVG is not ideal for absolute position but there is a need for
   positioning on character based input.
   ... Rik do you have an opinion

   RC: I was looking at it from absolute positioning

   CM: we need to keep allowing positioning in the current SVG text
   ... and make it as accessible as possible

   CL: one of the reasons that was added was for adding more
   complicated text on a path

   RC: and every glyph could have its own matrix

   CM: yes by specifiying a rotation
   ... maybe we should present this at the face-to-face
   ... I need to implement it anyway and I will start off with my
   proposal
   ... I will give more detail at the F2F
   ... for the use case of absolute positioning, we should try to
   support better and someone should start on a proposal
   ... rik, do you want to take this on?

   RC: I will discuss with Vincent but Adobe's interested.

   CM: using glyph indices is probably a good way

   RC: using glyph indices requires you have the font

   CM: I think that is reasonable.
   ... that the font is always there when you do absolute positioning

FX taskforce

   DS: want to discuss the CSS and SVG charters

   CM: should we wait for vincent

   DS: we'll talk about it via email

   RRSAgent make minutes

   RSSAgent, make minutes

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: shepazu to follow up with Peter Linss about testing
   [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/09-svg-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [15]scribe.perl version 1.136
    ([16]CVS log)
    $Date: 2011/06/09 20:50:05 $
     _________________________________________________________

     [15] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [16] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 9 June 2011 20:56:31 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 8 March 2013 15:54:48 GMT