Re: Canvas in SVG, was: Re: minutes, SVG WG Seattle F2F 2011 day 1

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:03:34 -0400
To: www-svg@w3.org
On 7/29/11 9:04 AM, Alex Danilo wrote:
> *<canvas>  in SVG defaults to retained mode, i.e. we can have an attribute
>     or property retain="retain|discard" that controls what happens to the
>     drawing commands on the canvas when resize/zoom occurs.

As proposed (using a replay buffer) this can very easily leak to
effectively leaking lots of memory for the page lifetime, and would for
most canvas uses I've seen, unless browsers implement complicated
heuristics to detect when they can drop things from the buffer because
the entire area covered by them has since been painted over with opaque
colors.

As an implementor I would be very wary of implementing this, assuming I
were willing to do it at all...

-Boris