Re: stroke=gradient for lines or horizontal paths

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:55:25 +1200
To: Andreas Neumann <a.neumann@carto.net>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
Andreas Neumann:
> I think this is a ugly limitation in SVG, and although Rob is right
> that the browsers are ok (those <line/> elements do not establish a
> bounding box), due to the spec, it is hard to explain to users that
> one cannot easily have gradients on vertical or horizontal lines.

I agree that it is ugly and I think it should be changed.
Alternatively, it should be possible to specify that the bounding box
region that the gradient applies to is not just the bounding box of the
shape geometry, but something that includes the stroke as well; that
would result in a bounding box with some area in the case of a stroked
horizontal or vertical line.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/