inline gradient definition?

From: Zdeněk Kedaj <zdenek.kedaj@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 14:24:07 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
Hi there,
I need to create many unique gradients in my SVG and I so far the only
way to specify a gradient fill is via url(#gradientId) notation. In
such case I would have to put all my gradients that are used only once
in the defs section, which seems to be a bit cumbersome to me. Is
there some way to define a gradient "inline" upon an element? I would
like to define the gradient properties right in the fill or stroke
attribute, without having to reference its definition in the defs
section.
Regards
Zdeněk