Re: Is there a common practice for writing rel="canonical" in SVG?

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:36:20 +1300
To: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@w3.org>
Cc: ML www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
Hi Kenny.

Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu:
> rel="canonical"[1] in HTML's <link> element identifies the canonical
> page (or the preferred URL) of the current content. I am wondering
> what's the most commonly used equivalent of HTML's rel="canonocial"
> in SVG.
>
> The SVG1.2 tiny spec about <metadata> mentions Dublin Core, and
>
> <metadata>
> <rdf:RDF>
> <dc:identifier>%URL%</dc:identifier>
> </rdf:RDF>
> </metadata>
>
> seems like a way to do so, but I doubt this is commonly used. Any
> alternative?

Yeah, I am not sure whether any implementations look at that to
determine the document’s canonical URL.

SVG doesn’t define any required processing of the contents of
<metadata>.

> The feature could be as useful as rel="canonical" in HTML for
> indexing, I guess.

SVG doesn’t have anything like the HTML <link> element to declare
relationships between the document and other URLs.  You could use a Link
HTTP header:

  Link: <http://example.org/my-canonical-url>; rel="canonical"

per http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988 although again I don’t know if
any implementations pay attention to that yet.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/