Re: Rendering of deeply-nested shapes with <use>

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:40:23 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org, johannes.roessel@uni-rostock.de
Hello,

well such problems/bugs in WebKit are well known - at least for me -
this viewer is simply not usable for such SVGs.
I think, WebKit itself claims to interprete use, therefore to switch in
a warning using a feature string is no option as well.
What remains is sniffing of the user agent and create an output with
a warning for such viewers using WebKit - this can inform the user
about the problem and to force them to switch to a better viewer for
such special kinds of SVGs.

That it takes a longer time to display IFS and related contructions
cannot be a surprise - it is a complex task for the viewer.
Well, it can be used to guess, how effective the implementations are
- if one needs 20s and another one 5 minutes to display such an IFS,
one can guess, that there is a lot of improvement
possible for the second one ;o)
Determing typical times an author can add information about the
delay - for example your attachment is not very nice, would have
been better just to link to such files with an additional information
about a possible longer rendering time for typical viewers and
no rendering for current WebKit versions.

IFS with SVG are a pretty elegant method to generate such fractals
or for example Penrose pattern as well and several authors
(including me) already published examples over the past years -
therefore this is an application for SVG, that is really useful and used
and published - especially because for example the adobe plugin is
an effective viewer for such files and is available already for many years.
But it is maybe not a good idea to use this to create for example
(animated) IFS as background images for (X)HTML documents or
something like this ;o)

Olaf