Re: Ignoring trailing semi-colon delimiters

From: Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 09:25:38 +0900
To: www-svg@w3.org
Dear Olaf,

(2011/11/30 18:51), Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:
> Yes, this was after an LC comment about some incompatible
> change in an SVGT1.2 draft (simple to find if you seach in the archive
> something like 'semicolon'):
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Nov/0049.html

Thanks for this link.

My concern is that all we have is a pledge from a tool maker about a
editor that doesn't appear to have been updated in a long time.

On the other hand Opera, WebKit, Abbra and Batik all support the more
lenient approach albeit with some caveats.[1] Existing content (likely
produced by the above-mentioned tool) relies on the lenient approach.

I'm still leaning towards bringing Firefox into line with other user
agents unless other vendors are willing to chime in with a pledge to
make their implementations more strict.

Thanks again,

Brian

[1] Notably, Batik does not allow trailing semicolons for the begin
attribute. WebKit and Opera don't support the proposed ";;" syntax for a
final empty value.