Fwd: minutes, SVG WG Seattle F2F 2011 day 3 - SVG Color

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Nick Hofstede <
Nick.Hofstede@inventivegroup.com> wrote:

>  How do I match the black? By using the same black as in the image. You’re
> right that I need to know the color profile used in the image, but that
> isn’t unlikely.
>
> The image might be sRGB, so I might just specify #000 for the color of the
> underlying rectangle. Or it might be that my shop standardized on a certain
> CMYK profile for the images. Or I might find out what profile the image
> uses. Point is that I want the same black-preservation setting for the image
> as the underlying black rectangle in this case, which isn’t the decision an
> automatic algorithm would make.

We're mixing up color management and black preservation here.
Maybe we need to discuss what should happen in a CMS workflow and why black
preservation is needed.

Another item I want to mention, is that there is a lot missing in SVG to
make it a suitable format for prepress.
True CMYK, spot, DeviceN, overprint, transparency blend spaces and a better
model for icc are just a start to what's needed.

> The eyedropper trick might not even work if the image is let’s say cmyk
> swop and I’m outputting to cmyk fogra. The conversion between 0,0,0,1 swop
> and fogra with preserve-black on is different from the conversion with
> preserve-black off.

It will work if your source elements all have the same profile.
That way all your content will be color managed the same way during the swop
to fogra color link.
(This is the 'convert to destination workflow' in InDesign where your
document profile is swop and destination profile is fogra)

> Why do I want my images to use rich black? Imagine an image of Tinkerbel on
> a black background. Tinkerbel, being a fairy, has a halo around it which is
> a gradient from light-green to black. You don’t want the gradient to switch
> from a mix of different colors and gradually more and more black to just
> black as soon as the gradient hits #000. This transition would be noticeable
> in the image as the black only is probably a bit lighter than the
> (supposedly lighter) pixel next to it which is a mix of black and a bit of
> other colors. There is a good reason for why your automatic algorithm
> chooses rich black for images.

I'm not sure if this is needed.
I know for a fact that gradients that use NChannel color going from black to
spot just interpolate linearly between the two values in Illustrator and
InDesign.

> Lcms2 implemented this an extension, I don’t believe it’s part of ICC
> (yet?). Not sure how he does it, that part is black magic to me (no pun
> intended). Somehow though there is a special case that avoids adding cmy
> components when black and grays are converted to a cmyk profile.
>

> I’m not sure “preserve numbers” is what you need. The way I read it, this
> just disables color management. Sure, plain black will be preserved, but so
> will all the other color values, and my SWOP cmyk image won’t look very good
> on my FOGRA calibrated printer …

from the online documentation:
Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers): Converts colors to the
destination profile space only if they have embedded profiles that differ
from the destination profile (or if they are RGB colors, and the destination
profile is CMYK, or vice versa). Untagged color objects (those without
embedded profiles) and native objects (such as line art or type) are not
converted. This option is not available if color management is off. Whether
the profile is included or not is determined by the Profile Inclusion
Policy.