Re: minutes, SVG WG Seattle F2F 2011 day 3 - SVG Color

2011/8/2 Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com>

> Hi All,
>
>        I have a couple of comments about the auto black
> switching stuff.
>
>        Anyway, as far as black preservation goes - this does
> need to be specified and preserved through the render engine.
>
>        It is quite common in printing to preserve black for an
> object even if it's overlayed with transparent things on top.
> So the example in the minutes with a gradient on top of a black
> object could still retain the full black channel underneath.

I agree.If you look how InDesign handles CMYK, it almost never touches them
when you go to output.
In 99.9% of all cases, designers don't want the application to touch their
CMYK.

Transparency does introduce some interesting problems.
Maybe the minutes weren't complete. What we discussed was a black box that
was transparent on top of a color managed image.
In that case, the black box really becomes filled with an darkened image and
might not follow black preservation rules.

>        This is done primarily for bleed/registration at the edges
> of objects such as glyphs, etc. The end result is that you have a mix
> of CMY as well as black in a channel (no under colour removal).
> So it's not uncommon to see something like (30%, 30%, 30%, 100%)
> for the CMYK channels. None of this matters for screen/pixel
> scenarios but is essential on any RIP used for printing.
>
>        The spot/named colour case is another where this kind of
> thing is mandated.

definitely. Spot colors need to be maintained as separate channels through
the pipeline, not just their CMYK values.

>        The upshot of this is that the objects do need to be
> tagged at the input, you can't do it automatically. All RIPs
> used in typesetting do this one way or another. So if we're
> going to let SVG be used for print workflows the colour
> management model needs beefing up.

There is a movement to not do this in the RIPs but upstream, either in your
publishing apps (like InDesign) or your document workflow system (like
AGFA's Apogee).