Re: Agenda+: Use Cases for Orientation

From: Andreas Neumann <a.neumann@carto.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:53:56 +0200 (CEST)
To: "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: "www-svg" <www-svg@w3.org>
Yes - this would be interested to have.

Maps are obvious use cases, but also panoramas. People could stand at a
viewpoint and point their device towards a direction and see the
silhouette of the mountains/peaks, overlayed with text/SVG or other

Combining this with a camera this would probably enable wikitude-like
augmented reality apps, using web technologies.

Also building information (combined with indoor navigation) systems could
be realized.

Games may also benefit from this API.

Just a few thoughts,

On Tue, September 28, 2010 8:03 pm, Doug Schepers wrote:
> Hi, SVG folks-
> The Geolocation WG is working on an orientation spec, which may be of
> interest to SVG authors.  Their draft DeviceOrientation Event
> Specification [1] doesn't currently have any use cases and requirements,
> but it will likely focus primarily on mapping cases, so we should put
> together a broader set of use cases, especially those applicable to SVG,
> that they could use as possible input for inclusion.
> As usual, the SVG WG welcomes any public feedback on this topic.
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source-orientation.html
> Regards-
> -Doug Schepers
> W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs