Re: [css-style-attr] SVG WG comments on CSS Styling Attributes Level 1

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:35:12 +0200
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
CC: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "www-svg@w3.org" <www-svg@w3.org>
On Wednesday, September 8, 2010, 3:53:37 AM, Sylvain wrote:

SG> I am trying to figure out whether SVG explicitly or implicitly allows the
SG> e notation in stylesheets or in the style attribute.

(Style attributes are considered to be inline stylesheets).

SVG does not, and never has, allowed e notation in stylesheets. It does allow it in presentation attributes.

Thus, it does allow it in *properties*, but only when those properties are used outside of a stylesheet.

SG>  Thus far it seems
SG> that's not the case, at the cost of obvious discontinuities for authors,
SG> tools and UAs alike since attribute values support it.

Yes, getting rid of the confusing discontinuity for authors and authoring tools was the motivation for the request.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG