Re: Minutes Paris F2F day 2 (September 6, 2010)

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Jonathan Watt <jwatt@jwatt.org> wrote:

> <http://www.w3.org/2010/09/06-svg-minutes.html>
>   DS: CSS allows image as a paint server
>
>   AD: I would like to have a video as a paint server

In Firefox 4 we have experimental support for a CSS element() value, that
(among other things) lets you use video as a CSS background. Supporting that
value in 'fill' would be a natural extension. See
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/08/mozelement/ and discussion on www-style.

>   CC: that's called texture mapping
>
>   ED: currently, we could do it with a pattern but we could extend it
>   or change it so that if a fill points to an image or video element,
>   you basically generate that as a pattern

If you mean referencing a video via url(), that has some limitations because
CSS rules can't refer to an element in the styled document unless they're
inline stylesheets or "style" attributes --- url(#foo) is meaningless in an
external stylesheet. When referencing video you often want to control the
element via the DOM. That's one reason we invented the element() syntax.

   AD: One thing is need to think about the pure SVG world
>   ... such as IPTV
>   ... where they want wrapping
>   ... but they don't want to pull in another names space

Hmm, this old chestnut :-).

If we keep adding features to SVG for the sake of UAs that don't want to
"pull in another namespace" then we will eventually clone much of HTML5
(+CSS3) into SVG. That doesn't make sense for the public Web. So, either
don't do it, or do it via an SVG extension that is explicitly not targeted
at the public Web.

Rob