Re: SVG and MIDI

From: Helder Magalh„es <helder.magalhaes@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 09:09:46 +0100
To: James Ingram <j.ingram@netcologne.de>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
> Hi,

Hi James,

> I need to include logical information about chord symbols, (such as their
> temporal duration and midi pitches) so that these do not have to be deduced
> from the (static 2D) graphics when I read and play the file.
>
> My questions are:
> Is there already a recommended way to include such logical (temporal/MIDI)
> information?

I guess Alex already pointed out a good possible solution. I'd only
add to this the declarative animation support [1] already in SVG
(using SMIL), which adds the "temporal" information you might be
seeking about. :-)

> Should I be doing this some other way?

(Apart from the above,) You could also try using scripting (for
example using ECMAScript - a.k.a. JavaScript - or other languages).
You'll *definitely* want to take a look at a tightly related SVG Wow!
demo [2]! ;-)

> I have not yet written any SVG but otherwise have a lot of experience in
> this area, so I know what I'm letting myself in for. :-)

I'm assuming that "this area" relates to graphics and stuff and I'm
always glad to hear when someone with expertize joins the community.
Welcome and good luck! ;-)

> best wishes,
> James Ingram

Hope this helps,