Re: Fw: The intersection of scripting and the use element

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:44:20 -0500
To: "G. Wade Johnson" <gwadej@anomaly.org>
CC: www-svg@w3.org
On 11/8/10 8:06 AM, G. Wade Johnson wrote:
>> It's consistent with them being cloned and then inserted, no?
>
> The code does not run at all in the referenced document, so I would
> think this would be different.

No, that's the general behavior for situations in which scripting is
disabled: the script does not run but _is_ marked as having executed so
cloning it and inserting it elsewhere won't run it.  You can test this
with, say, XMLHttpRequest where the responseXML includes <script> elements.

> Actually, I'm looking to understand what SVG is intended to support at
> the moment. I'm really okay with either outcome, but there's seems to
> be a genuine fuzzy spot here in the spec.

Yeah, I agree the processing model is somewhat underdefined.

-Boris