Re: animate-elem-46-t.svg

On 06/07/2010 04:48 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:
 > RL>  and the
 > RL>  default value for attributeType is "auto" which means use CSS if
 > RL>  possible.
CL> Not quite accurate either.
[...]

Right, I think that's basically what Robert said/meant. :)

CL> There is indeed a property called 'font-size' so that is what is
CL> being animated;

Agreed so far...

CL> and it is being animated with legal values for that
CL> property.

I don't think that's correct. "30" and "12" are *not* legal values for
that property.

Those values would be legal for the font-size *presentational attribute*
(which would be selected if attributeType="XML" were added).  But
they're not legal for the font-size *CSS property*.  As Boris mentioned
earlier in this thread, CSS properties require units for all nonzero
<length>s (including font-size values).

Note that http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/animate.html says attributeType
"specifies the namespace in which the target attribute and its
associated values are defined".  In this case, attributeType="auto"
makes us choose the CSS namespace (as you described above), and within
that namespace, "30" and "12" are not valid values for 'font-size'.

 > RL>  Can the three animations of font-size in the test be changed so
that either
 > RL>  a) they specify attributeType="XML"
 >
CL> That doesn't do what you seem to think it does.

I don't understand your response here -- can you elaborate?  IIUC, that
change would indeed fix the test (or, at worst, leave the rendering
unchanged, in browsers that accept unitless values for [effectively]
attributeType="CSS" animations)

~Daniel