Re: Why a stroke on top of a fill?

Alexandre Prokoudine:
>On 6/5/10, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:
>> As one can see, it is always simple to put the stroke below the
>> fill, but there are options as well to present only the inner or
>> the outer part of the stroke or an arbitrary fraction of it
>> (I have samples in a (german) tutorial, including continuous
>> animation of the fraction ;o)

>The issue a lot of people run into with SVG and Inkscape is that there
>is no way to define whether stroke should be rendered from path
>towards inside or outside, not just centered on the path. I know that
>icon designers have to work around that.

On the knowledge level of inkscape developers it should be simple
to provide an interface for authors to add this functionality already
within the capabilities of SVG 1.1.
The problem to put the stroke below the fill is trivial with no
fill-opacity or stroke-opacity.
With one of them or other variants to present it, one needs some
clipping or masking, what can be done/calculated by inkscape automatically
for such a well defined purpose...
There are already much more complex and nice tools in inkscape ;o)
For example the calligraphic tool uses some kind of specific filled path
to simulate a stroke with different width by calculating its outline
automatically - something like this could be another more complex
alternative, but without the need of clipping and masking.

Later, when SVG 2 modules are available, they can replace it with the
vector-effects Doug mentioned.

Olaf