Re: About shapes with translucent borders

Hi, Juan-

Welcome to the W3C SVG list.

Juan Vuletich wrote (on 6/5/10 2:11 PM):

> All SVG renderes draw shapes by drawing first the fill, and then drawing
> the border on top. At
> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/vectoreffects/master/SVGVectorEffectsPrimer.html
> and http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/render.html#PaintingShapesAndText ,
> it is clear that the standard requests to do that.
>
> I didn't know that, and took the time to render this svg:
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/rects.svg like this:
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Morphic3/rectsInM3.png . It is a bit more
> complicated, but I feel it is better.
>
> What do you think? Should I simplify my code and just draw one over the
> other? Or should the standard be changed, and SVG renderers do what I did?

I think that ship sailed a few decades ago. :)  See my explanation about
the importance of picking a method and sticking to it [1], and Steve
Schafer's comment about the history of stroke and fill in graphics [2].

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2010Jun/0068.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2010Jun/0067.html

Regards-
-Doug Schepers