Fwd: SVG Fonts [...]

From: Rick <graham.rick@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 14:36:42 -0400
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rick <graham.rick@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: SVG Fonts [...]
To: Patrick Dengler <patd@microsoft.com>

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Patrick Dengler <patd@microsoft.com> wrote:
> <use> is a very powerful and nice feature and allows me "use" an svgdocument just like a font for the vast majority of use cases.
>
> <use .. xlink:href="svg.font#f">
> <use .. xlink:href="svg.font#o">
> <use .. xlink:href="svg.font#n">
> <use .. xlink:href="svg.font#t">

Except that you lose the text semantics.  Searching for the word
"font" in the use statement example above would fail.  So would text
selection for the same reasons.

> I would love for someone to point me to more than 100 web pages that use them.

I would use them if they had better support.  Actually, for basic path
outline support it isn't that difficult, and covers 90% of the use
cases.

I may start using them again anyway. Hopefully Mozilla will come on
board, Firebug is such a useful tool.

--
Cheers!
Rick