Re: SVG Fonts [...]

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de> wrote:

> The current specification require SVG Fonts, so a viewer without SVG
> Fonts support is not a SVG compliant viewer.

That's true, but "it's in a spec" isn't a good reason to add a feature
either. Otherwise we'd all be implementing XSL-FO :-).

Am Donnerstag, den 03.06.2010, 19:34 +1200 schrieb Robert O'Callahan:

> The problem is, SVG Fonts 1.1 is easy to implement except for the part
> > where you allow arbitrary SVG content in each glyph. As far as I can
> > tell, that is actually really hard to implement in a performant way,
> > in a typical Web browser engine where you expect to be able to use SVG
> > fonts for HTML content, and when you want style inheritance into the
> > glyphs to work the way the spec says it should.
>
> Of course it's the hardest part and yes it's a challenge to make it fast
> enough. But there are other parts that have the same problems (depending
> on the viewer). For WebKit it's a challenge to have a fast enough
> implementation of 'enable-background' (uesed on SVG Filters) with a few
> memory consumption. But we'll work on it, when all concerns about
> 'enable-background' in the upcoming vector-effects are solved.

That's actually a good example. The only implementation of enable-background
that I know of is in Opera, and Opera incorrectly clips the background image
to the viewport, which makes implementation much easier :-).

> Saying a browser's implementation is "not complete" when it entirely
> > omits the really hard part would be an understatement.
> Following this comment, Firefox never had SVG support.

When our first SVG code landed and we supported <rect> and <circle> and not
much else, it would have been a joke to say our SVG support was "incomplete"
:-). Now that we're just missing a few relatively minor features (plus SVG
Fonts I guess), describing it as incomplete is accurate.

Rob
53:5-6]