Re: [SVG1.1F2 LC] mainly previous open issues...

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:03:10 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
CC: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Hello www-svg,

Dr. Olaf Hoffmann asked

ISSUE-2336
> 17.3.2 SVG fragment identifiers
> Is it ok to have the same  SVGViewAttribute twice in the one view?
> If yes, how is this interpreted?
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2010May/0026.html

The intention was not to allow the same SVGViewAttribute twice in the one view, no. As you point out, allowing this would not be useful and would be hard to interpret the meaning.

We discussed this, and clarifying directly in the EBNF would make it more verbose as the SVGViewAttributes can occur in any order and we did not want to impose an order, so the EBNF would need to list each possible combination.

We have therefore added an explanatory note after the EBNF stating that each type of SVGViewAttribute can occur at most one time in a given SVG View.

The initial paragraph of section 17.3.2 SVG fragment identifiers states that linking to a view only happens if the fragment identifier is correctly formed. Thus, if a viewer met a fragment which was incorrectly formed (from having multiple of the same type of SVGViewAttribute, or for any other reason) the effect would be that the view was not resolved.

Please let us know if this clarification is responsive to your comment on 17.3.2 SVG fragment identifiers.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG