Re: DOM APIs - XML to SVG parsing

Hi Francis,

You should look into the DOMParser interface, which is supported on
every modern browser (that excludes IE):

  * http://www.w3schools.com/Dom/dom_parser.asp
  * https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Parsing_and_serializing_XML

I think the DOMParser interface is defined here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-DOM-Level-3-LS-20030619/load-save.html#LS-DOMParser
but I don't see a parseFromString() function.  Does anyone have any
idea if/where this has been standardized.  If not, why not?  I'm not
clear on the situation, but the following function works fine for me:

function text2xml(sXML) {
   var out;
   try{
      var dXML = ($.browser.msie)?new
ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM"):new DOMParser();
      dXML.async = false;
   } catch(e){
      throw new Error("XML Parser could not be instantiated");
   };
   try{
      if($.browser.msie) out = (dXML.loadXML(sXML))?dXML:false;
      else out = dXML.parseFromString(sXML, "text/xml");
   }
   catch(e){ throw new Error("Error parsing XML string"); };
   return out;
}

Regards,
Jeff