Re: SVG Presentational Attributes, attributeType="CSS" vs "XML": same or different?

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:53:58 -0800
To: www-svg@w3.org
CC: Robert O'Callahan <roc@ocallahan.org>, Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com>, Jonathan Watt <jwatt@jwatt.org>
Hi www-svg,

To follow up on my previous message, I posted a grid of testcases for
testing how various SVG implementations handle attributeType="XML" vs
"CSS" for presentational attributes:
http://people.mozilla.org/~dholbert/tests/smil/compat_tests/xmlVsCssChart_v1.svg
(There's also a ".html" version for Adobe SVG Viewer -- it wouldn't load
the plain SVG version on my machine, probably because I need to tweak
the mimetype or something.)

Here are the results from the above-linked grid, across various SVG
implementations:
         | (a)    | (b)  | (c)   | (d)   |(e)   | (f)   | (g)  | (h)
  ASV    | Gray   | 38px | Blue  | Green | Blue | Green | Blue | Green
  Opera  | Yellow | 18px | Green | Green | Red  | Green | Blue | Green
  WebKit | Red    | 38px | Blue  | Green | Red  | Green | Blue | Green

(I'm not including Mozilla/Firefox because it doesn't support animating
presentational attributes yet -- that's what I'm working on & why I'm
writing this message)

VERSION INFO:
  Opera 10.10 on Ubuntu 9.10
  Safari 4.04 on OS X
  Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0 on IE 6 (via Wine, on Ubuntu 9.10)

DISCUSSION:
ASV matches "Behavior 1" from my previous message -- it follows the last
paragraph of SVG 1.1 section 6.4 exactly. (completely ignoring the value
of "attributeType" for animations on presentational attributes.)

Opera matches "Behavior 2" from my previous message -- it treats the XML
attribute and the CSS properties as completely distinct entities. (with
the CSS property's value overriding the XML attribute, whenever both are
set or animated.)

WebKit is a sort of strange intermediate.
  *Aspects that match Behavior 1: When the property & attribute are
simultaneously animated, they interact addititvely with each other (see
(b)). Also, the property doesn't automatically "win" when there's a
conflict (see (c)).
  *Aspects that match Behavior 2:  Animations on the XML attribute *do*
"lose" when there's an *inline style* set (see (e)).

So, there's apparently no clear agreement among SVG implementations
about what "the right thing to do" is here...