Re: Minutes, January 14 2010 SVG WG telcon

From: Helder Magalh„es <helder.magalhaes@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 23:38:48 +0000
To: Paul Williams <pwilliams@infotrustgroup.com>
Cc: "www-svg@w3.org" <www-svg@w3.org>
Hi Paul,

I'm not part of the SVG-WG but here goes (response inline)...

> During the discussion of "unit" behavior, I noticed the following:
>
>> † †... and there are things that don't have units
>> † †... the idea of SVG is it's scalable
>
> Scalable, yes -- but there are cases in which we would like certain elements to be non-scaling -- for instance stroke width and font metrics may want to have non-scaling parameters in the engineering domain. †That is, to allow the endpoints of a stroke to expand and contract, but always maintain a particular pixel stroke-width.

I may be overlooking this but, AFAIK, the non-scaling-stroke
vector-effect [1] (introduced in SVG Tiny 1.2) was specifically
designed for this. :-)

Please reply with more details if your use-case can't be addressed by
this neat (yet not widely implemented) way to achieve fixed stroke
width. ;-)

> Thanks for listening,
> †~ Paul

Hope this helps,