Re: [css-style-attr] SVG WG comments on CSS Styling Attributes Level 1

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:57:14 +0200, Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com> wrote:
>> This issue is out of scope for the Styling Attributes specification.
>>
>> (Also, the CSSWG has already resolved not to make this change.)
>
> Could I perhaps ask why?
>
> Looking back in time by reading the source code of Unix
> edition 7 which dates back _a long time_ (the '70s) I see that the
> 'C' function 'scanf' can handle parsing scientific notation.
>
> Surely the CSS WG is not advocating we go back to roman
> numerals...
>
> Can we have some proper technical justification for such
> a resolution please?

We have resolved to not change the Styling Attributes specification on
this point as it is out of scope. We have not resolved to not add
scientific notation to CSS. We consider that to be an orthogonal issue.

(The group is somewhat split on whether we should add scientific notation,
but most implementors are in favor (some already support it), so it will
very likely happen in due course.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/