Re: (read first) Working towards a clear understanding of the interaction between svg and html5.

Hi, Kevin-

Thanks for taking the time to spell out your use cases and suggest spec
wording.  I think we now have a pretty good sense of what should be done
here, and the SVG WG will discuss it at our face-to-face meeting in a
couple of weeks.  It's likely that we will reach agreement on what the
proper behavior should be and how the spec should be worded in time for
the next release of some of the major browsers (assuming that
implementation details aren't too tricky).  We'll also coordinate with
the HTML and CSS WGs to get a consistent agreement.

As far as the issue with CSS borders and backgrounds on inline SVG, I
think that is an area open for debate; the SVG spec explicitly doesn't
say anything currently about that.  My personal opinion is that an
inline <svg> element in HTML can effectively be treated as a container
element, like a <div>, and when styled as such, with a background and
set dimensions, may receive pointer events by default.  This is a
special case not covered by the SVG 1.1 spec, currently.

With regards to the event targets, the DOM3 Events spec introduces a new
term, the "proximal event target" to distinguish between the element an
event is aimed at, and the currentTarget as a consequence of the
propagation path (capture, target, and bubbling phases).  And in terms
of the context menu over an empty canvas, that is actually aimed at the
window more than the document, though it may carry context information
such as the clientX/Y and the current document.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs