Re: [SVG1.1F2 LC] General: suppression of DOCTYPE declarations across the whole specification

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:21:42 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
Hello,

why to change this for SVG1.1 now?
There should be no such substantial change in this new edition, I think.

On the other hand, at least the validator for SVG 1.1 with its restrictions
helps many authors to fix major bugs. Of course, the restrictions result
in a few situations to wrong information.

However the new experimental validator is much worse. This is used
if no doctype is provided. For example for SVG tiny 1.2 the validator
results are practically always completely nonsense and the suggestions
of the experimental validator are ridiculous .
Until there is a more reliable validator for documents without doctypes
(the same applies for example for the newest XHTML variant XHTML+RDFa 1.0),
I think the old doctype is still pretty useful for authors wanting their
documents to be tested.

Typically viewers do not care about it - unfortunately not even about
attributes like version - therefore it is practically not problem to
have the doctype within the document together with version and
profile indication. And once viewers take into account the version
information, this will be an advantage for authors anyway.

Olaf