feTurbulence returns "biased" values?

From: Jasper van de Gronde <th.v.d.gronde@hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:06:44 +0200
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
I was looking at the distribution of the color values produced by
feTurbulence (type=fractalNoise) and found that they are centered around
0.75 (approximately) instead of 0.5. This seems to be true for Inkscape
as well as Batik. I've also checked the implementation in Inkscape
against the code in the specification, and it seems to match.

Every non-SVG example of Perlin noise I've been able to findproduces
values centered around 0.5, which seems more logical. Any idea where the
discrepancy comes from? Is this by design? Am I missing something?