XLink namespace prefix

From: Johannes Roessel <johannes.roessel@uni-rostock.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:09:02 +0200
To: "www-svg@w3.org" <www-svg@w3.org>
Hello,

In tracing an issue yesterday why a specific SVG image won't render in some renderers I noticed that it used the namespace prefix “l:” for XLink instead of the more common “xlink:”. SVG being XML, this shouldn't be much of a problem, theoretically. However, the W3C validator complains about that too and several SVG renderers, including rsvg and IE 9 Preview won't render the image when the namespace uses a prefix different from “xlink:”.

I didn't find anything in the specification that discourages or forbids the use of other namespace prefixes. Is there anything on that? If the prefix doesn't *have* to be “xlink:”, then perhaps a test case for that behavior might be good to have, considering that several renderers have problems with that.

Regards,
Johannes