Re: Margins for filters?

From: Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:08:55 +0200
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: "Dirk Schulze" <vbs85@gmx.de>, "Jasper van de Gronde" <th.v.d.gronde@hccnet.nl>, www-svg@w3.org
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:45:32 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> What you are suggesting is to allow the filter primitive subregion to be
>> larger than the filter region, so calling it 'subregion' sounds wrong
>> to me
>> (editorial, but still, if that change is made I'd like to call it
>> 'filter
>> primitive region' instead).
>>

> Sounds reasonable.
>

>> Regarding clipping to the subregion, is it your opinion then that this
>> clipping should take place on the filter input image, on the filter
>> output
>> image, or both? (For e.g feDisplacementMap this can make quite a
>> difference)
>

> The output.

So if you wanted to clip the filter input image to the subregion you'd
need an additional filter primitive, e.g feOffset, to do it - that may be
undesirable.

Would being able to control the filter primitive region clipping be
something worth having? E.g a new attribute regionClip = [ input | output
| input-output ].

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group