Re: Margins for filters?

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 07:45:00 +0200, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Dirk Schulze <vbs85@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> You suggest to kill filter effect regions, but keep clipping to
>> subRegions? The default subregion is the boundingBox of the target
>> object. Isn't it more problemetic?
>>

> Earlier in this thread I wrote:
>
> I suggest we continue to allow filter primitive subregions to clip filter
> primitives, but that we make the default filter primitive subregion (for
> all
> filter primitives) be infinite so no clipping is performed.

What you are suggesting is to allow the filter primitive subregion to be
larger than the filter region, so calling it 'subregion' sounds wrong to
me (editorial, but still, if that change is made I'd like to call it
'filter primitive region' instead).

Regarding clipping to the subregion, is it your opinion then that this
clipping should take place on the filter input image, on the filter output
image, or both? (For e.g feDisplacementMap this can make quite a
difference)

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group