Re: Minutes, 26 September 2009 SVG WG F2F - Day 1

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com> wrote:

> [...]

No, I mean the character.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Suppose the author writes
<text style="stroke-width:10; font:MySVGFont 100px;">ABC</text>
Suppose MySVGFont uses the default units per em of 1000, and suppose it
includes glyphs for A and B but not C, and the A and B glyphs use <path>
elements to render the letters, with the stroke-width inherited from the
<text>. Then the stroke used for A and B will be about 1px wide, but the
stroke used for C will be 10px wide. The problem is that for characters
covered by the SVG font, stroke-width (and everything else that uses user
units) is interpreted in the font coordinate system, but for all other
characters stroke-width is interpreted in the user unit coordinate system
for the <text>.

So in practice it seems to me that this cascading is only useful when you
have a very tight relationship between the producer of the font and the
consumer of the font, and in particular the consumer of the font must be
able to restrict the characters used in the text --- for example
user-provided text is right out. But if there is such a tight relationship
between the producer and consumer, why not just put the styling in the font
glyph content directly? Are there really significant use cases where there's
value in reusing font glyph content, inheriting different styles from
different <text> elements, but the font consumer is restricted to static
text and has intimate knowledge of the font design details?

Since you've implemented it, maybe you can point us to some examples of
people using these features for real projects.

Rob
53:5-6]