Re: Rendering arbitrary SVG content in SVG font glyphs

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 2:23 AM, Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com> wrote:

> <use> doesn't clone.

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#UseElement

The effect of a 'use' element is as if the contents of the referenced
element were deeply cloned into a separate non-exposed DOM tree which had
the 'use' element as its parent and all of the 'use' element's ancestors as
its higher-level ancestors.

That means that in a situation where cloning is observable, e.g. a <use>
referring to a <foreignObject> containing an <iframe>, the implementation
must clone.

Roc's original concern about indirecting into
> another namespace via foreignObject is indeed a
> valid concern and I think Erik pointed out this
> is already well constrained by the earlier DTD.

In fact it is not.

This thread seems to have been born from a reluctance to write
> code to do what the specification described and ASV has implemented
> from a number of years ago, not to mention other implementations.

Did ASV implement the arbitrary-SVG-content-in-<glyph> feature? We've seen
that it's pretty common for implementations to claim SVG Font support
without doing that hard part...

In any case, an implementation in ASV and a full, interoperable, performant
implementation in a complete Web browser are very different tasks.

Rob
53:5-6]