Re: Rendering arbitrary SVG content in SVG font glyphs

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
> On Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:28:39 AM, Jeff wrote:
>
> JS> I'm afraid I still didn't understand the use case for allowing TRULY
> JS> arbitrary SVG content as children of the <glyph> element.
>
> Same use case as allowing a <use> to point to arbitrary SVG content.

If <use> satisfies the use case that you're talking about, then why do
you need to support the solution in <glyph> as well?  Why are we
providing more than one solution to the use case?

<use> is about a general cloning method.  <glyph> is about
constructing font glyphs.

So I still fail to see the need to allow truly arbitrary SVG,
particularly when no browser yet supports it - though some claim to
support the SVG Font feature strings:
http://www.codedread.com/svgtest.svg cough Opera ahem :)

> Indeed, text in SVG can be seen as a way of generating a bunch of use elements laid out one next to another according to some rules (advance width, font size, kerning).

Since SVG has no advanced layout (yet), this will result in users
trying to 'corrupt' the intention behind SVG fonts to take advantage
of these rules.  I've actually seen this done before by using font
glyphs and text elements in ways that have nothing to do with text

Jeff