Re: SVG: Accessible Forms

(Note that I'm not CC'ing all of the mailing lists in the original
message to avoid cross-posting and due to the unusually high number of
addresses...)

Hi Jonathan,

> SVG: Accessible Forms
> What action is being taken to develop an accessible input form** for SVG?

Isn't this a reincarnation of a thread created about two weeks ago [1]?

>        can and will it be implemented by UA developers?

I don't know about implementers/content authors position about this
matter (the SVG WG has already stated that this is somehow off-scope
[2]) but I'd question if demand for this kind of feature is relevant
at the moment.

I'd vote for UA developers' focus to be on improving current
implementations: coverage of the SVG specification, integration with
other supported technologies -- (X)HTML(5), audio and/or video
integration (somehow also covered by HTML5), etc. -- and fixing
issues.

Widget/forms and other kinds of user input handling can already be
done though available/well deployed technologies: (X)HTML(5), in a
"foreignObject", or through scripting libraries (carto.net has a few
neat examples [3], more libraries are available).

Note that using SVG for such use cases hasn't been (at least up until
now), seen as much valuable and/or might hard to implement: for
example, editable text is only available in recent Opera releases (and
in the moribund ASV6)...

Of course trying to use implementations which don't support
integration with other technologies/scripting support currently makes
input handling pretty much impossible (?). But, for those cases (I can
mostly think of hardware-limited devices such as mobile terminals), it
would be pretty unlikely that one would integrate forms support into
those anyway. I'd say that HTML, WML and other technologies (such as
Java applets) are more appropriate for the task.

Regards,
  Helder

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009Aug/0033.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009Aug/0034.html