Re: Changing attributeType="CSS"

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:41:45 +0100
To: "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
CC: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>, www-svg@w3.org
On Friday, October 30, 2009, 8:56:18 PM, Robert wrote:

ROC> We want the set of properties animateable by CSS Transitions and
ROC> SVG Animation to be the same

Yes.

ROC> For legacy compatibility reasons, we can't do this for
ROC> specifiedType="auto".

Could you explain what legacy compatibility reasons mean that you can't do this? Its the default settings, so it would be nice if it worked well. And it would be nice also, if authors didn't have to explicitly say attributeType="CSS" all the time. or, worse, remember which CSS properties are also specified in SVG, miss it off for those, add it for the others. Which is what you seem to be suggesting.

ROC>  I propose that the set of CSS properties
ROC> animated by specifiedType="auto" be fixed forever to the set of
ROC> properties it animates today, as defined by the SVG spec.

That would be bad; see your sentence quoted above.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG